This is the first federal government budget since the 2019 election. Where do you want to see the billions of dollars of public money allocated? Environment or fossil fuels?
Last signataires : Gabriel - Cynthia - Arthur
By the end of March, Justin Trudeau's government will present its first budget since the 2019 election. Right now, Minister of Finance, Chrystia Freeland is deciding how to allocate billions of our tax dollars!
This is a decisive moment for our collective future. Will public funds be wasted on polluting industries or will they be invested in bettering our societies and safeguarding our health and our environment?
If the government is serious with its environmental promises, this should be reflected in the upcoming federal budget.
The situation for our planet is urgent – we need the federal government to deliver on these promises. This requires sufficient funds allocated to the right initiatives with clear deadlines and accountability.
Right now, we have a rare opportunity to make Canada better, greener and more inclusive, innovative, and equitable.
To shape the Canada that we want to see, we are asking the federal government to make critical investment decisions that:
- End fossil fuels subsidies and shift spending to a Green and Just Recovery,
- Deliver strong climate legislation, ambitious climate targets, and policies that enable climate justice,
- Protect 25% of land and ocean by 2025 and support Indigenous-led conservation,
- Expand and leverage nature-based climate solutions and
- Implement an action plan to build the resilience of our communities in terms of mobility, agriculture, energy, supply and sustainable innovation.
The pandemic has taught us a valuable lesson: when we act together, we can overcome even the greatest challenges. To do this, the government must provide sufficient means to invest in genuine environmental initiatives, define clear short-term deadlines and must be accountable for the achievement of results.
This is our best opportunity to invest in our future and the future of our children. Let your elected officials know that you demand a Green and Just Recovery.
Send an email to the federal Minister of Finance, Chrystia Freeland and to the leaders of the Opposition parties to work together towards a budget to help make Canada greener, more resilient, more equitable and healthier.
Take action now in 3 quick and easy steps:
1. Enter your coordinates above. Your postal code will find your MP’s coordinates;
2. Personalize the email, if you wish;
3. Send the email. Sending the message from your email address helps to ensure that it will be delivered.
Your email will be sent to the federal Minister of Finance, Chrystia Freeland, to the leaders of the Opposition parties and to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
If you accept to receive updates from Équiterre, we will keep you posted on this campaign.
Équiterre is part of a pan Canadian coalition of environmental organizations that is leading the One Earth, One Voice campaign to push the federal government towards a green and just recovery.