Help enact a Canadian climate law we can be proud of. Email the government to demand improvements to Bill C-12.
Last signataires : Marie-Liên - François - Serge
In the coming weeks, Parliament will be debating Bill C-12, the Canadian Net-Zero Emissions Accountability Act.
This is the first time that Canada's federal government has introduced legislation to hold itself and future governments accountable for reducing emissions.
Bill C-12 is a critical opportunity to make sure that Canada never misses another climate target. But the bill requires significant amendments in order to truly deliver bold climate action and build a safer, healthier future for all Canadians.
We need your help to ensure that this new climate law is as strong as it can be.
Scientists around the world have issued a clear and stark warning – we have less than a decade to prevent climate disaster. We need to improve Bill C-12 to make sure it does enough to reduce Canada’s emissions quickly.
The pre-written email below outlines the amendments to C-12 that we are calling for.
Please send it to your MP and key federal Cabinet Ministers today, urging them to support amendments that will improve Bill C-12 and deliver a robust Canadian climate accountability law to address the climate crisis.
Take action now in 3 quick and easy steps
1. Enter your coordinates above. Your postal code will find your MP’s coordinates;
2. Personalize the email, if you wish;
3. Send the email. Sending the message from your email address helps to ensure that it will be delivered.
Thank you in advance for helping to make Bill C-12 into a Canadian climate law that we can be proud of!
Recipients: Your MP + Francis Scarpaleggia, Peter Schiefke, Monique Pauzé, Joël Godin, Alexandre Boulerice + evaluation committee.
The tabling of the Canadian Net-Zero Emissions Accountability Act (Bill C-12) is a significant step for Canada on the road to net-zero emissions by 2050.
The legislation makes important strides in establishing a climate accountability framework for Canada, but amendments are needed to ensure it delivers on commitments for bold climate action.
I am asking you to work with all parties in Parliament to improve Bill C-12 and enact a strong climate accountability law for Canadians.
Bill C-12 must:
- Set strong, science-based, legally-binding targets that hold governments accountable in both the short- and long-term for Canada's fair contribution to fighting climate change;
- Require current and future governments to work with the provinces and Indigenous nations to develop and implement plans that will achieve our climate targets;
- Put independent scientific advice at the centre of setting targets and plans, and evaluating government progress toward achieving Canada's climate goals; and
- Ensure accountability in the next five years to prioritize immediate climate action.
Elected officials have a critical job to do in reviewing Bill C-12 and ensuring it is up to the task of fighting climate change.
Now is the time for all parties to roll up their sleeves, support amendments that will improve Bill C-12, and make sure this bill passes without delay.